Saturday, September 12, 2009

Stonehenge and Bath




I had to wake up at 6am today to be on the bus for our group trip to Stonehenge and Bath. I slept the two hour coach (aka bus) ride to Stonehenge, and then we explored the site for about an hour. The audio tour was quite fun and I took way too many pictures! But the tour takes you in a circle around the monument, and I wanted to get pictures from every angle! Then we got back on the coach and headed to Bath. It was only about an hour drive, and we watched Love Actually on the way, which is an even better movie when you’re in England and recognize some of the places they are in the movie as places you have visited! Bath was very beautiful; we roamed around on our own for a couple hours and got some lunch before heading to the Roman Baths for a tour. Rachel and I explored the city together and decided to become rugby fans since the city was awash in blue and black as the first Bath Rugby game of the season was starting while we were there. We haven’t decided which team will receive our undying allegiance yet, and we’re working on becoming football (aka soccer) fans as well. The tour of the Roman Baths was also very interesting, but I was tiring by this point, and once again, I took way too many pictures! We weren’t allowed to touch the water, so I’m not sure I was cured of anything. We got to listen to nifty audio tour guides (handheld sets worn about the neck) at both Stonehenge and the Roman Baths, but I’m not sure how much information I retained. Sometimes I was too distracted by the English accent and amazing sites to actually pay attention to the words! Around 4:30, we headed back toward Sussex, and I alternately slept and read The House at Pooh Corner for the journey which was made longer by a car accident that stopped all traffic. In the end, we made it back around 8pm, sore, tired and hungry. But it was definitely worth it to see two such great sites!

No comments:

Post a Comment